Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Kids Helping

How does your house look at the end of the evening on a school night?

Are there cups in the family room, pillows on the floor, papers in the oddest places, random toys on the sofa, under the sofa, in the sofa?

I've made my life so much easier by extending bedtime by 5 minutes. My kids are great helpers in short segments. At bedtime we take 5 minutes to pick up the family room and kitchen. Everyone picks up, puts away and cooperates for just 5 minutes. No heavy lifting here. This is NOT the time to pull out the vacuum cleaner or feather duster. You're simply picking up. Restoring order to the chaos.

I cannot tell you how restful it is to sit back down in the family room after my husband and I put the kids to bed. I'm not looking around thinking, "Look at that glass sitting on the table, and who threw the pillows all on the floor. Woe is me." That does not lead to great alone time.

Instead, I can sit beside my sweetie and relax!

Check out other great Works for Me Wednesday tips at Rocks in My Dryer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is that saying? Great minds think alike? Well I don't know if that's always true, but it seems to be in this case. *wink* I posted a tip very similar to this because I also hate looking around at a mess after the kids have gone to bed. But hey, if they don't read it on my blog, they'll read it on yours, so we've got double coverage happening. Yay! Ta for now dahling!

Marcia Francois said...

Great idea - I love how you rope them in :)

Organising Queen and
Marcia's take charge blog

Unknown said...

I love your profile! Also, that is a great idea. Somehow it just makes life seem more manageable when all is said and done and you sit on the couch at the end of the day! Great tip!