Friday, October 5, 2007

A Faith Retreat

My friend Kelly and I have started a 34 week retreat. You might call it a virtual retreat. We don't get to escape to somewhere nice and quiet and contemplate the richness and valleys of our lives while someone else cooks. Instead we find times in our day to consider and ponder. I seem to be on a pondering track lately, so I thought, "Great!" Then, I have to admit I was a little worried. Could I add one more thing to my plate? Would the time be worth it or would the time pull from other things?

Okay, first of all, it's not that time consuming. Second, I love what I've been able to draw from the first three weeks. The first three weeks have you look back over your life and notice God's fingerprints. Then, you realize that God's fingerprints are on every single moment of your life, even the ones you don't want to remember. This week we considered God's creation. How he not only created me, but this amazing world for me to enjoy.

Take a moment and consider all the little things you enjoy. Warm coffee, giggles, sunshine or rain, double cheeseburgers, a nice pinot noir. God's creation. He enjoys that we enjoy it. He deserves our praise and glory. My life is richer for giving Him praise for the goodness that surrounds me and gratitude for traveling down the road of my life through the swamps and helping me bounce out of the pot holes.

What things do you love in God's creation? Can you take a few moments to retreat to the shelter of God's love?

No comments: