Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Chicken with Brown Sauce - Yummy!

I've made a mistake with Mr. Linky for Jan. 2's WFMW. Please click here for Ham and Pineapple over Rice -Yum! We'll just blame the new year for my lack of technical precision. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.





Works-For-Me Wednesday: The What-Do-I-Fix? Edition


You know that feeling. It's 5:15. You're still running around the house trying to make it look like you've done something all day. The kids are still doing homework with questions, questions, and more questions, the phone's been ringing non-stop, and oh, by the way, its time to start dinner. You stare alternately into the refrigerator and the pantry, and you begin to panic.

My daughter keeps encouraging me to make a menu for the week. She's eight and eating dinner is high on her list of priorities. In fact, she's usually the one to ask, "What's for dinner?" first.

So here's my go to dinners when I'm out of time, brain power, and haven't been to the grocery store.

Here's favorite meal that looks like I actually planned something. It's Chicken with Brown Sauce over rice or noodles. I usually keep frozen chicken breasts. The defrost button on my microwave is my friend. Saute the chicken breasts in olive oil and minced garlic until opaque. Pour a can of beef consumme over chicken, and a splash of dry sherry if you're up for it, and simmer 15 minutes. (Two cubes of beef boullion in a cup of water works also.) Mix 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1 tablespoon corn starch together in a measuring cup. (If you're out of sour cream just mix 2 tablespoons of corn starch with 1/4 cup cold water. Make sure you salt and pepper to taste.) Add sour cream to chicken to thicken sauce. Serve over rice or our favorite - egg noodles. Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese over top. Add a salad, broccoli, or carrots, and your husband will think you planned all day. Trust me it's Yummy!

Spaghetti with meat sauce- I have to mention this because let's face it, I could make it in my sleep, my son can make it alone, and we have it almost once a week. Sometimes more. I buy Hunts spaghetti sauce in a can. When it's on sale for a $1, I buy as many cans as possible. Brown some ground beef, add the sauce, a few shakes of ground red pepper, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Our family loves vermicilli pasta. For left-over spaghetti night, please don't pity us, I'll mix the remaining sauce with a little cream, water, and extra parmesan, then mix all that with cooked ziti noodles in a baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until warm. Oh, and left-over hot dog buns make great toasted garlic bread.

My other staples in an emergency include breakfast for dinner and tomato soup with grilled cheese. I still remember many years ago when I cooked fancy dinners every night - lamb chops, pork loin, salmon, homemade gumbo or pallea. Ummm, yeah, those days are over.

Head over to Shannon's for more Works For Me Wednesday: The What Do I Fix? Edition.

4 comments:

Susanne said...

You sold me with the sour cream! Yum! I'll have to be trying this for sure!

Pieces said...

Those days are over for me to! Great suggestions.

Pieces said...

Those days are over for me to! Great suggestions.

Christine Smith said...

great ideas - thanks a TON