Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dreams of Dresses

Colonial Day is coming to the Fourth Grade. I love colonial dresses. For three summers I was in an Summer Stock outdoor drama about the Revolutionary War. I loved my costumes, the petticoats, the mob caps, the tight bodices. I was so excited. I've been dreaming of making a colonial dress for Birdie.

Dreaming would be the key word there wouldn't it.

Birdie has decided she wants to wear a Continental Soldier's uniform. Specifically she wants to be part of the rag tag army of Valley Forge. She's thinks we should tear her shirt some and is worried we won't be able to make it dirty enough. She's probably already planned where to put the blood stains.

My dreams will remain a dream. I could possibly make her a dress along with the soldier's uniform, but I'm pretty sure she'd forcibly put it on once and tell me how much it bothers her.

Maybe one day I'll have a granddaughter who loves bows and dresses. But then her mom will probably make her wear practical pants all the time.

No comments: