Thursday, December 18, 2008

Lying in a Manger

My heart and stomach are tied together. Are yours?

Anytime I want to comfort, I turn to food. Anytime I want to celebrate, I turn to food. I have so many happy memories of cooking with my grandma and just being in her kitchen. It was the heart of her home.

Where is the heart of your home? Where does everyone gather when you have people over? I'm willing to bet that unless you specifically push them in another direction everyone ends up standing in the kitchen gabbing for hours.

I got a new giggle about the Christmas story this morning.

While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. Luke 2:6-7

Jesus was laid in the manager. Which, if you're following my kitchen is the heart of a home theory, is the heart of the stable. God incarnate, the bread of life and living water was laid in a manger. He came to be the center of our lives. He comes to satisfy us with overflowing grace and love. He awaits us each morning, at every meal, and in all the moments of our lives to fill us with that which makes us whole.

And he was laid in a manger.

I love God! He makes me smile. :)

No comments: