Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Difference a Year Makes





It's amazing the difference a year makes.
While these particular pictures aren't the best at showing how much he's grown, on the left is Fred at the end of 7th grade after the National Jr. Honor Society Induction. On the right was last week, end of 8th grade as he received his pin for NJHS. (I still think parents should at least get a sticker for planning and providing all transportation for the 15 hours of community service.)
As he walked across the stage a mom in front of me commented, "He looks ready for high school. He'll fit in; he's the right size."

She's right. He's ready. And amazingly I am too.

I read a post the other day about a mom wanting to freeze time and stop her kids from getting any bigger because time is moving way too fast. I agree that at times it does move way too fast. I miss squeezing those chubby legs and hearing peals of giggles while playing chase. I also teared up the other day in Target when I saw the graduation supplies and realized we were only 4 short years from that milestone. However, these two years of middle school have also been precious. I love watching Fred grow physically and mature in all ways. Oh, I've worried myself silly and annoyed my friends with endless conversations on the subject of "what in the world are we going to do with Fred?" But I've been blessed that those same worries led me to prayer and granted me God's blessed answers to those prayers. Sometimes we get a glimpse that he does listen to us. We do help form his life and choices. As we as parents grow and release him to make some of his own choices, he makes good ones and gains confidence.


The general opinion in our area is that middle school is tough and once you get to high school it seems a little better. Fred came to me over that little bit of insight yesterday.

He said, "Mom, middle school has been great. I don't know why everyone worries about it. I was thinking on the bus today, that if I liked middle school, its the best school I've ever been in, maybe high school will be awful for me instead."
There's my positive thinker. I assured him that life was only going to get better. I pray it does only get better. I'm going to continue to enjoy his growth. I'll always have me sweet memories of a little boy with a big belly laugh, but I don't want to miss any of the new things to come.

No comments: