Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Best, Most Awesome Summer Smoothies

Doesn't that frosty goodness look absolutely delicious?

Trust me and 5 kids on a 90 degree day. It was spectacular.

It makes me question why it's only taken Birdie 2 months to convince me to try making smoothies. Even though I bought the frozen fruit for them 6 weeks ago, I'll admit it. I was scared. What if I didn't like them? There's plain yogurt in smoothies. What if it actually tasted nutricious? What if only my kids liked them and not me?

Yeah, I know. I'm still not up for mother of the year.

Healthy or not, I'm considering making another round.

I'll let you other non-smoothie drinkers in on a little secret. It tasted surprisingly similar to a strawberry adult drink I enjoyed while the kids were at camp last week. I'm even considering buying some of that health conscious protein powder to add to them for breakfast. Do you suppose I might be able to get a little protein into my carb-a-holic 13 year old with these frosty delights? Whoo-hoo!

If you too are new to the smoothie idea, here's how we made them.

Berry Delicious Smoothies
  • 2 cups frozen strawberries, blackberries, blueberries
  • 1/2 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup 1% milk
  • A few splashes of cranberry-apple juice

Place all ingredients into blender and puree until smooth.

ENJOY WITH A SMILE!

No comments: