Monday, August 18, 2008

Seeing the Benefits in a Dreaded Shot

Fred hates shots. As in truly believes they will actually kill him. Even though he's not died from a shot yet, he's convinced the next one could do it, but only after extensive pain. From age 7 until age 10 he obsessed about getting a tetanus booster shot. When the day finally came I thought they'd have to knock him and me out before it was all over. While he has come leaps and bounds from the days when we had to administer Valium before the shot (him not me), every doctor's visit is prefaced with, "I don't need a shot, do I?"

A few weeks ago I took all three kids in for a check up. The Dude was due the 11 year old shot. Fred was in the clear. Until the doctor started talking about a meningitis inoculation. Fred instantly picked up that he'd need one also. Hyperventilation was quickly looking like a good option to him. In the end, he decided that he'd rather go ahead and take the pain that day instead of freaking out about the shot until he finally got it.

Fast forward to all three kids came home from camp with sore throats and generally feeling yucky. I asked questions about how they felt and we wondered whether it was a virus or maybe strep, Fred announced, "At least we know we don't have gingivitis!"

As I stared dumbly at him and wondered how many times he actually used his toothbrush at camp...I realized he meant meningitis. And yes, yes, we could rule out gingivitis and probably meningitis while we were at it.

No comments: