Monday, August 18, 2008

A Temporary Interruption to the Blogging Hiatus

So I guess it's pretty obvious that I took quite the blogging hiatus. I wish it was because we were frolicking across several continents, but alas it wasn't.

In truth, I had concerns about continuing to blog...probably still have. I keep up with several blogs that I dearly love, but I just don't have the desire to be that public with my life. And yet what is a blog, if not public. I think I actually like looking in on someone else's life, which made me finally realize that having a blog wasn't as much about writing as giving someone a glimpse into my life. Yikes!!

A blogger I really admire commented that blogging is building a community, and if you're not interested in building a blogging community by reading and commenting on other blogs you might as well just journal in a notebook. Let me just tell you that kind of pressure just about made me hit the delete button on my blog.

Any reader is hereafter warned. All content of this blog is only suitable for a wide ruled spiral bound notebook.

I read a few other blogs that often seem like a listing of their accomplishments to prove how and why they are a great mother and/or Christian. Let me also state that I am not Michael Phelps. I crumble in the face of competition. If you want to be the best at something so badly, go for it. You can win. I make myself crazy enough without comparing my lack of accomplishments to another's alphabetized list. I will fail in my own eyes everytime, let alone being judged by others. I'm still working on me and my motherhood techniques, and I have lots to learn about God and all other aspects of life.

So why on earth did I ever log back into Blogger?

For me. I like to keep a journal. And I like this format. Lately, I've noticed the kids telling stories with details I no longer remember. I was once such a crazy detail remember-er. Here's my place to remember and think things out. If no one ever reads it, it's okay with me. If someone drops by and comments. Excellent.

Oh, there's more self-induced and busy life angst behind my little blogging hiatus, but luckily it appears that I'm going to recover from my summer of lists, lists, and more lists to be accomplished. So if finally looks like I'll have time to pencil blogging back onto my daily list.

No comments: