Friday, April 12, 2013

The Healing Path

My healing path wanders from our neighborhood to a nearby park. As my soul has craved spring, it has also craved nature.

God speaks through nature.  It's His masterpiece.  I don't have the words to express how walking through the woods, listening to the water rushing through a run of rocks, the rat-a-tat-tat of the biggest pileated woodpecker I've ever seen, the silence of a mallard fishing in the quiet depths, and the smells of falling snow or the freshly turned spring earth scream out the assurance of God to me.

I am immensely thankful.

While I desperately need the exercise, my walks have also been reflective and about enjoyment.  Since spring is just now exerting its power, cutting through the woods from the path to the creek is open from the quickly awakening briars.  Many times over the past few weeks I've ventured off the path to the creek.  To listen, to breath, to praise the goodness of water flowing.

Monday, I went further.

My intent was to walk along the bank.  Then there was a downed tree.  I could have tried to climb around it, but the rocks made an easier path through the water.  I'm not sure you can jump from rock to rock without at least of a hint of a smile.

Exercise is good for the body and soul, but slowing down the pace to jump from rock to rock, to dip your fingers in the spring-cold, rushing water - that is a healing experience.  One I hope to take Birdie on later today.

No comments: