Sunday, April 14, 2013

Treasures from My Walks


The moss turns green first in the spring.

The largest pileated woodpecker I've ever seen.  It was huge I tell you. I'd say almost 18 inches long if not bigger.  I loved seeing it, and I sure am glad it was pecking on a dead tree in the woods rather than our eaves.

Busy, busy squirrels full of energy and spring excitement.

Three deer that stood and watched me this morning.

Snow flakes that fell on my nose and eye lashes the first day of spring break.

Seeing thousands of trout lilies.  I even saw some of the first blooms.

Another woman doing her yoga stretches by the large turn in the creek.

An eagle gliding above the park as I entered.

A man allowing his very nice dog to run free and occasionally chase the squirrels in the woods.  There was such beauty in their relationship and the freedom to let a dog run knowing she would return.

How spring exploded this week with this bout of unseasonably warm weather.  Cherry and pear trees are blooming, the grass has greened up, and leaves are quickly sprouting.

Jumping from rock to rock up the creek.

Taking what must be a deer trail off the walking path to the creek.  I found the hoof prints where the deer cross the creek and climb up the bank.  I found signs of geese and then finally in a curve that forms a large quiet pool, the geese.  I walked further and found a huge area of sand and pebbles.  Just ten yards from the path everyone walks each day is a totally different landscape never seen.

Sitting on a rock in the middle of the creek this morning, seeing the sun filter through a newly green tree branching across the creek and glitter off the water as it tumbled over rocks upstream.  From my perch I could look up and downstream as the creek gently curved in both direction and flowed over many other rocks.  I was overwhelmed by the beauty of rocks, water, moss, sunlight.   

Peace.  I have found peace.


No comments: