Monday, March 10, 2008

Got a Minute Alone?

Do you ever feel that not only is time marching on...it's actually stomping across your face?

What extremes do you go to in an effort to slow down this express train to wrinkle-ville?

It's not a new problem for me. But lately, I just look dare I say - almost 40? I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror and think, "Whoa, Charlie, what ran over me and my face?" Where are the days where I threw my hair in a ponytail, splashed on a little mascara, and looked fresh?

To be honest, I think those days are hiding back 15 years ago.

It's a dangerous thing to spend a minute or two alone in the bathroom with no children pounding on the door feeling this way. Just ask my eyebrows and newly formed bangs.

Last week, I thought maybe if I just tweezed the old eyebrows they'd look younger. A little arch could add a lot of lift to my sagging eyes.

Or so I thought.

That was before I did a little plucking and discovered my eyebrow hair has a design all of its own. When I plucked just the last little row on the bottom to make that arch I envisioned, I ended up with some weird boxy area.

Perpendicular angles are not a good look for eyebrows. I'm just saying.

I was scared to pluck anymore, so I just let my hair fall over that eye and hoped no one noticed. My friend L called first thing the next morning to check on my eyebrow situation.

I told her I wasn't looking in the mirror for a few days. Maybe if I didn't see it, I wouldn't think about it, and then the hairs would grow back in more quickly. Uh, yeah.

Then a few days later - after I remedied the eyebrow catastrophe somewhat - I decided maybe bangs would make me look younger. I'd been contemplating them for all of 3 or 4 days. Why wait a minute longer for a hair appointment with a professional who actually does hair for a living. I just snipped them off myself.

Why or why do I do these things?

Guess what?

Cutting bangs and pruning my eyebrows have done nothing for the condition of my aging skin.

No comments: