Tuesday, June 24, 2008

One for the Parents

We ran smack into the joy of having a 13 year old the last two weeks. Most of the episodes included my husband and I looking at each other and saying,

"It's finally here, isn't it? Years and years of teenagers with attitudes have just started."

As I said to a friend last weekend, "Twelve was glorious. Goofy, funny, delightful. Thirteen, ummm, not so much."

Monday Fred admitted that he's been rather grouchy. I was glad he noticed. To give him credit his mood swings are quite sudden. He can be laughing with us, all of us having fun, and then suddenly exclaim, "You're laughing at me!! Are you just trying to be mean to me?" and then stomp out of the room.

Hon and I are left agreeing, "Yes, we were laughing...and so we you just a minute ago."

Teenagers. It's a new, not so normal.

This summer in an effort to stretch his mind a little more we've decided to guide his reading more directly. (Yes, this is proof to him that we're horribly mean.) After quite a few tantrums dramatic out bursts, we just picked up the first 3 books we choose from his reading list.

He skimmed one in the car on the way home. He then came home and started reading another one. Excitedly, I might add.

I'll score that as one for the mean old parents. I'll take the joy any way I can find it.

No comments: