Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gran Torino

So who's seen Gran Torino?

It was fabulous. I'll admit it was not my first choice for a Valentine's Day date movie, but I loved it. This was classic Clint. Rough and gruff, even growly, but you still wanted to just give him a hug and go get him that next cold one.

However, it really hit some nerves for my dear husband. We spent all of our romantic dinner after the movie talking about our kids and how to stay connected. My husband was deeply feeling the challenge all parents feel. How to guide our children, which can often require firmness and critique of their actions, yet still having a loving a close relationship. How do you help them become worthwhile people without making them hate you in the process?

Yes, there was way more to Gran Torino than foul language and racism.

As I reminded Hon, sometimes when you're in the middle of the game, you can't know the final score. We're not finished raising our kids. They still needed to be reminded about table manners. (Will we ever get past that?) Luckily, there's still time for us to continue to model and mold, and they will go through the molting process before they leave our nest. The point is not to give up and continue to find ways to laugh and love along the way.

My husband's worry just makes me love him that much more. He wants to be close with all our children. He worries about raising responsible, respectful adults. In the process of making them better people, he doesn't want to damage his future relationship with them. It's a careful balance. We can't know if we're doing it the right way.

I pray that God continues to mold Hon and I to be the parents He would have us to be.

No comments: