Friday, April 4, 2008

Anticipating God's Voice - A Faithful Experience

We started a new Bible Study this week, Priscilla Shirer's Discerning the Voice of God. I enjoyed a new teacher and the beginning of a new study. The women around me were so excited to get their hands on their new workbooks. We couldn't wait to dive into God's word and apply it to our lives.

That's one of the greatest gifts God has given me at this time and place in my life. He has surrounded me with other women hungry for the word of God. Hungry for real, live, intimate, relationships with God.

This study opens right on that note. As my friend, Kelly, said here,

One of the things she said that really struck me was "do you think that He loves you enough to die for you, but He doesn't love you enough to speak to
you?" She challenged us to anticipate that God does and will speak to
us...that He wants nothing more than to have an intimate relationship with
us....one that involves both listening to us AND speaking to us.


As I lay awake in the middle of the night that night contemplating, why exactly God wanted me to be awake yet again at O'toodarktolookattheclock, it occurred to me that anticipating hearing God's voice has a whole lot to do with faith. Anticipating God speaking to me involves my faith in that concept. That not only can I anticipate hearing God's voice in my life, I can also anticipate the goodness God has stored for me. I can have faith in His goodness.

Oh, there are some things I want to have faith in my friends.

Faith that my children will have real, intimate, loving relationships with the Lord.

Yes, Lord! I claim that one.

Faith that the love between my husband and me is provided by the Lord. Our marriage is sanctioned and created by God and will not only weather the obstacles of our lives but grow stronger and more cherished through our ups and downs.

Yes, Lord! I claim that one, too!

Faith that our relationship with our children will only deepen in love through the years. The Lord will provide the love to survive their growth and our old age. He will provide laughter and comfort with the ones I love the most.

Yes, Lord! I claim that!

After discovering all this faith I sincerely and eagerly anticipate hearing God's voice so I know my part in bringing these prayers to fruition.

Mostly today, in the light of dawn I feel comfort. Comfort in my faith. Comfort that God loves me so. Comfort that he will guide my footsteps, heartbeats, and life journey.

God is so good.

God is so good.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Amen, Sister!!! God is indeed good!