Friday, April 4, 2008

Growing Flowers in Uganda

I was checking Sitemeter to see how readers end up at my blog. You know, all three of you. I got a good giggle that someone Googled, "Growing flowers in Uganda," scrolled down to the eighth entry, and clicked on my blog. (Love the alliteration in the beginning of that last sentence.)

I am here to say, "Yes, I know just a tiny amount about growing flowers in Uganda."

Well, not actually flowers.

More like flowers that are children of God - in a very real and literal sense. And I know just a very tiny amount about even that.

You see, in February I followed Compassion International's Blogging Trip to Uganda. Not that I actually went, but I can assure you I spent the length of time it would take to fly to Uganda in front of my computer reading and re-reading every detail of that trip. My family spent Valentine's Day night choosing the child we sponsor from Uganda. His name is Fred. He has 6 brothers. His best friend is his brother, and he'd like to be a pilot one day.

You know what I know about growing flowers/children in Uganda? Not much. But I do know that by sponsoring Fred through Compassion International people that do know about raising children in Uganda are now completely involved in Fred's life. I know he is fed, has medical care, goes to school, and is loved and taught by the Christian community in his village. I know Fred's sponsorship positively impacts his entire family. I know that the extra gift of $25 dollars that I sent will be used for something his family truly needs. Not wants, but needs.

Oh, and I know one more thing. I know that God softened the hearts of our little family here in the United States. I know that my children pray for a boy they've never met as if he is a close friend. As I think about it the seeds of love have been sown far and wide by our relationship with Fred and Compassion International I see large beautiful blossoms. Flowers planted by God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God bless you and Fred -- I am always amazed at how the Lord is able to bless both giver and receiver. Praise be to God.

cd

(*Might you add Jesus + Compassion to your blog roll?)