Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Shiny Ceramic Sink


If you've ever encountered Flylady, you know a shiny sink is high on her list of priorities. I have to admit, there is a certain peace to walking into a kitchen with a clean and shiny sink...and countertops you can see. However, if you happen to have a ceramic sink that is over 10 years old, getting it to actually shine and not be covered with scratches is an impossibility...or so I thought.

I love our ceramic sink. I did not love the metal colored scratches left from every pot that ever touched it. No matter how much I scrubbed I couldn't get rid of those grey squiggly lines.

And then my mother-in-law came to visit at Thanksgiving, and asked, "Do you have any silver polish?"

Two minutes later my sink looked brand new!!!

So that's what Works For Me - try silver polish, I specifically use Wright's Silver Cream, to remove stubborn scratches from ceramic surfaces. Check out other great tips at Rocks In My Dryer.

4 comments:

The Correspondent said...

Thanks for this tip. I'm looking forward to trying it.

I had a stainless steel sink the first 25 years of my life, and I've had a ceramic sink for these past 15. I must say, I prefer stainless steel, and I'll be campaigning for one soon. Until then, however, I'm glad to know how to keep my current one shiny!

Phyllis Sommer said...

thank you thank you! i have exactly the same problem and never knew how to fix it. sometimes, if the scratches aren't bad, the magic erasers work pretty well. but i'm going to try this - i'm so excited!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is incredible. Thanks for letting us know. I have to try it on our ancient sink I inherited when we moved into this house.

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you! I can't wait to try this.