Friday, January 4, 2008

Where Christmas Never Ends

Well, it finally arrived. My Christmas spirit showed up around 2 o'clock yesterday. Honestly, I'm just glad I got a chance to feel it all this year. As you might guess, I wasn't quite filled with the right spirit this year. I'm usually known as Mrs. Santa Claus around our house. However, no matter how much prayed and tried this year, I was the crankiest I've ever been at Christmas. I certainly didn't enjoy myself. My poor family.


At least I thoroughly enjoyed the week after Christmas, I figured I try harder next year. I just regretted ruining my own favorite holiday for myself.

Then over the last few days I've had lots of nostalgic feelings. I've taken time to look at photos of past Christmases and the kids when they were little. I've really enjoyed the Christmas tree lights and the Santas on the mantle. The calendar was telling me it was time to start putting away the Christmas decorations, but I wasn't ready. I know lots of people keep their decorations up until the Epiphany, but I wanted our weekend to be free. Since I had a few hours alone today, I decided un-decorate the tree.

I had more fun un-decorating the tree than I did decorating. I had time to look at each ornament we've collected over the years. Our first married Christmas, the first pregnancy, each child's first Christmas ornament, ornaments from friends, made by the kids, the chicken I gave Fred the year he was crazy about chickens, the horrible Harry Potter ornaments all the kids loved one year, etc. The kids gladly carried all the ornaments back to the storage room. When I started to take off the lights I commented that the tree was still holding its needles really well.

The Dude begged, "Leave the lights on. Please let us keep the tree."

He'd didn't need to ask twice. I quickly re-wrapped some red ribbon around the tree and turned the lights back on. The Santas never left the mantle. It's still Christmas at our house. So what if the I got in the mood for Christmas more than a week late, my heart is singing. If I didn't enjoy Christmas before the 25th, I can enjoy it now.

Our tree is here to stay...



until it drops all its needles or smells like it will ignite in the presence of a flashlight.

And since we're still celebrating, do you think that means I can stay in my pj's all day???

No comments: