Friday, February 15, 2008

Best Valentine's Day Ever

We had a great Valentine's Day. Or super-Awesome as BooMama said here.

I'm not sure what rock I've been hiding under for all these years, but I totally never understood or even paid much attention to the whole sponsoring a child in another country idea. I'd heard about it, but I definitely had my heart on mute. Luckily we have a gracious God, who likes to give me multiple chances to pull my head out of the sand. Hallelujah!

Last night we had a true sappy family moment at our house that I hope I always remember. It didn't even involve cards and chocolate showered over me. It was our family crowding excitedly around a computer screen to watch a few videos of Uganda here and then trying to chose a child to sponsor. Which country? Who needs it the most? How do you pick?

We now sponsor Fred. I have always called my kids Fred as a nickname so that helped us decide. He's 10 and lives with his dad and five brothers and sisters in Uganda. He has a beautiful smile and is a child of God. His picture is on our refrigerator and prayers for he and his family are in our hearts.

If you don't already sponsor a child, think about it, pray about it, look at these sweet children here. There are children in India that have been waiting 6 months for a sponsor, like the little boy on this page.

I've received more joy from this simple act than any worldly present I've ever opened.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:3

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Wait until you get a letter from your sponsored child! It is truly a blessing. We have been sponsoring Fikrte in Ethiopia and Sovia in Indonesia for several years and we eagerly anticipate each communication from them. We have sent them pictures of our family as well and they seem to treasure those reminders of the family that is praying for them from so far away.

Compassion is a wonderful organization that has been well researched in terms of the amount of your money that actually goes to your sponsored child.

Becky said...

YAY!!!!! I'm so excited every time I read about someone deciding to sponsor.

I've met both my sponsored kids and there's not a doubt in my mind it's changing their lives.