Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This Is Where I Ramble on to Nonsense - Perfectly

Do you ever struggle with perfection? Or more aptly perfectionism? Anyone who knows me is probably laughing themselves silly with the thought of me struggling with perfectionism. I am the queen of "That's good enough!" "Close enough," and "Let's just move on." (Where do the commas go in that last sentence?)

Even in my tolerance of all mediocracy, and more importantly my drive to just finish as fast as possible, I occasionally get snagged by the perfectionism bug. I don't like it.

I recently said something quite inappropriate. Not in a crude way, but I was definitely unkind. When I called a friend to apologize and try to soothe my guilt she laughingly remarked, "You mean you're not perfect yet?"

God bless her.

I'm not perfect. Even when I try really, really hard. And you know what else, my family doesn't live the perfect life. I hope you know what the worst part of that is...concentrating on the imperfections. Letting the flaws in my life, relationshipsl, hair, complexion, conversations, home, timeliness, oh, enough already...

One of the greatest flaws could be letting the little things blind me from all the blessings in my life. Just because something isn't the perfect I dreamed it could be doesn't mean it's not the perfect thing for me. Waiting to live the perfect life when I'm perfect just isn't ever going to happen. There is no reason to hide out from the life I want to live.

Occasionally I need to remind myself of that little insight.

No comments: