Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Winter Basketball '09

We are a basketball family. My dear husband played quite a bit of basketball growing up and has passed that love on to our children. Now, our children are not super stars, except in my eyes, but I dearly love to watch them play. I love to see their enjoyment of the game and how they improve each season. I get so into the game that I never remember to take any pictures if I happen to take my camera.

This season was not a great one for the Dude and Hon's team. Hon coaches the Dude's team. In fact, they lost abysmally last weekend in their first game of the playoffs. I can't say anyone played near their normal level. There was no heart in the game. What I have loved about this season are those beautiful moments when the Dude pulls it all together. His long arms strongly snatch a rebound from the boards then gracefully arc as he throws up a shot that falls through the net. Those are the moments of this season that I'll remember, and how much he moves just like his dad in those seconds. He's still building his confidence. He probably took less than a quarter of the shots he could have, but all that will come in time. He loves playing, and he loves that his dad is coaching. I also want to remember that this is the season he finally dribbled down the court. The Dude is a defensive player. He's all about the rebound and passing the ball. It takes yelling from the sidelines for him to take the wide open shot. However, he stepped up a few times this season when his team needed him to and dribbled. Oh, the joy of seeing his self-confidence bloom.

Birdie's team had an even worse season than The Dude. Her team lost every game. It takes a strong will to keep fighting when you lose every game by double digits. The sad part was that her team had several good players. Every good player needs some kind of offense is the lesson learned this season. Yet, this was a great season for Birdie. She got the opportunity to play point guard and loved it. She still does not like to be pushed or bumped at all, but she will toughen up in time and hopefully the refs will call more fouls. She so loves every sport she plays. Last week the weather was spring like and she was outside shooting every afternoon. One afternoon I quietly watched Fred playing with her. I don't think I've ever seen him so encouraging and kind with her. He was teaching her how to stand tall to better block the shot. Another moment to remember.

One last bragging moment by a so proud mom. Both Birdie and The Dude made All-Stars for the first time. They are both thrilled. I'm glad there's more b-ball to watch.

No comments: