Friday, December 7, 2007

Big Fun in the City

I have had big fun in the big city.

Oh, yes indeedy.

We've took the Metro downtown, had dinner at a nice restaurant, went to a NBA game, went back to the nice restaurant's bar, took the Metro home, and got home after 11 pm.

And, just for the record, I am officially a "grandma." As in, I am older than the hills and find young revealing clothing scandalous. And I don't like cool shoes with heels higher than 2 inches that would identify me as anything other than the stay at home mom I am, because honestly they hurt my feet.

Obviously I don't get out much. In fact I haven't been to a NBA game since the Hornets were in Charlotte in the first half of the '90's. I think I was pregnant with my first born at the last game I saw in person. We had friends and family with great tickets in those days.

We have friends that had great tickets for Friday night's game. They were AWESOME tickets!!!

I'd forgotten how big NBA players are. We were very close to the court. The first half was great. The score was close, and the players made every pass look effortless. However, as the second half began my friend saw Will Smith on the big screen, so....

...to be honest...

...I spent the second half trying to find him in the crowd. I did not have binoculars.

I really could have used them. Not to see the game since we were so close, but to search the crowd on the other side of the Verizon Center for Will Smith, because I really needed an actual sighting to improve my tales of my big night in the city.

I did finally spot him. I'm pretty sure...

Anyway the Wizards lost, we had a blast, and we headed home on the Metro.

I feel so grown up taking the Metro places. The Metro at 10 pm is much more fun than 5 pm. There are couples snuggling, recent college grads catching up with old friends, a few people sleepily making their way home from work, and there was a young man dressed in a military dress uniform. He was fully prepared with his backpack that included an umbrella and combat boots.

As I sat wondering and praying about his safety, another young man recognized that he had served two tours in Iraq. This civilian dressed young man commented that he was headed back to Iraq on Monday. He also looked prepared and resolved.

Suddenly the chatter and excitement of the Metro died away. At least for me. I couldn't think about anything but this young man, who looked so much younger on second glance, headed off Iraq. As the Metro moved further into the suburbs and towards the end of the line, it became even more quiet. I studied his cowboy boots and wondered why he'd been downtown. He had gotten on the train with us. Maybe he also caught the game. How would he spend the rest of his weekend? Would he be surrounded by friends and family? I knew I wanted a chance to talk to this young man.

As the train pulled into the station, I basically pushed my dear husband out of the way to stand beside the young man waiting for the doors to open. I squeaked out, "Good luck, God Bless."

He bounded up the escalator and headed off away from us. I held my dear husband's hand even more tightly.

I imagine that young man is in Iraq right now. I pray for his safe return. I pray that he knows God and has family and friends to support him. I pray that his night in the big city was more fun than mine and that very soon he's back downtown amazed at all the sights.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What a lovely post! Thank you.