Saturday, December 29, 2007

Swedish Pancakes

Fourteen years my husband and I received a wedding gift that I wasn't quite sure how or if I would use. It was a flat electric griddle. I had grown up with an electric griddle with high sides for making country style steak and gravy, or sausage gravy, or even spaghetti sauce in a pinch. Gravy would pour off the sides of this gift. I thought maybe we'd return it and get a better one.

And then Hon's family introduced me to Swedish pancakes. They're flat, sweet, crepe like pancakes.



Obviously my dear, well used friend has seen better days. In fact the legs have been replaced twice, and trust me you can't scrub those spots off without completely scrubbing off the non-stick surface. I've tried. Also the cord heats up just about as hot as the griddle surface these days. Kinda dangerous when you have children who love to help flip pancakes.

Since last June I've had to prop a broken leg underneath while using it. Loads of fun, I tell you!

So, one of my gifts this year was from Hon and the children. And while they gave it to me, they noted on the card it was truly a gift that will keep giving to them.


My family is especially excited that I've made Swedish pancakes twice this week. Working with a broken leg had taken it's toll on the old griddle ,and it (make that me) was only up to the job about once a month. Here's our family's treasured recipe passed down from my Father-in-law's mother. I make the whole batch standing at the kitchen counter and then we eat together. My in-laws love to plug the griddle in beside the table while everyone sits in place waiting for pancakes. If you're lucky you get one pancake a batch. Eating breakfast this way still amazes me. I'm quite the rebel in making them all before bringing them to the table.


Swedish Pancakes


1 3/4 cups of milk
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tablespoons oil

Mix all ingredients together in a blender on medium. Scrape sides mix again on high. Cook on griddle. When top begins to look dry flip. Requires less time on second side. Serve with applesauce, maple syrup, or liggonberries. My kids love to roll them up and eat them plain.

No comments: