Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

I made the BEST chocolate chip cookies yesterday. And yes, I truly believe they are the BEST!!!
They're my mother-in-law's recipe. And you better believe me, that woman can cook! I think the fact that she's such a perfectionist actually helps her cooking. She makes sure she finds the absolute BEST recipe and then follows it EXACTLY!

How do you like all the capitals I'm using today. I had to shake things up, you know.

I don't usually make these. I just wait until I see my in-laws, because she makes them for every occasion. Thank you, sweet Jesus! However, having free reign to as many of these babies as I wanted last week at the beach kinda developed a need for them. My hips are getting wider as I type.

I even took pictures of their glorious, sweet crunchiness before they were devoured by children, my husband, neighbors, and of course myself.


I had cookies for breakfast this morning, and then a really small salad for lunch followed by more cookies. I'm definitely putting them in the center of the island and letting everyone eat until they're sick. My hips and clothes can't take many more.


Katherine Redford's Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't know who she is, but God bless her!


  • 2 sticks butter, softened
  • 2/3 cups light brown sugar
  • 2/3 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup toasted oatmeal (Heat oven to 350, spread in shallow pan, toast 5-10 minutes)
  • 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 4 ounces milk chocolate chunks
  • 2 cups roasted pecans (optional, but they're divine)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt and toasted oatmeal. fold into butter mixture by hand, just until incorporated. Don't overmix. Lightly fold in chocolate chips and pecans. Spoon by teaspoonsful onto cookie sheets (I use parchment paper) and press down to flatten. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until a light golden color.

This makes about 3-4 dozen cookies. I wish it made more. Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

If only I had read this afternoon before I made my first attempt at homemade, from-scratch chocolate chip cookies with my daughter. It all went terribly wrong when I put the chocolate chips in the mixing bowl and MIXED them in. As the batter turned brown my 3 year old daighter said, "OOOHHH. It looks like BBQ." Nice.
Can you tell I cook often? Ha Ha. I am going to have to redeem myself with this recipe next time.

Perri said...

I've never seen someone so enthusiastic about a cookie recipe. I'm going to have to make these to see if they live up to the hype, but I'm thinkin' they will based on the ingredient list!

Kelly said...

Anything with 2 sticks of butter HAS to be good! The next time I get the urge to bake, I will try these...of course, that may be in 2010!

Love you!