Thursday, August 16, 2007

Teaching Kids About Confession

We were out running a few errands yesterday and don't you know that God was along for the ride.

I'm so glad He chooses the most appropriate teachable moments. Because I've got to tell you, my contrived ones usually fall pretty flat.

As we climbed back into the car with my husband's dry cleaning Birdie said,

"Mom...when I was looking in your purse earlier I saw you had some gum."

"And..."

"I took a piece."

"It's in my mouth now."

The guilt and need for confession was clear in her little voice. I have to admit I was so glad the Holy Spirit had pushed her conscience. I was also glad she didn't fear telling me what she had done. So, I reminded her that she should always ask before taking something that doesn't belong to her, and then asked her if I had I EVER refused to share my gum.

"You always share Mom. I'm sorry. I ask first from now on."

All was well with my little girl.

It was just a little reminder from God that forgiveness is mine for the asking. Luckily, I don't have anything heavy weighing on my mind at the moment. I am thankful for the opportunity to teach my daughter through this harmless little episode. Hopefully, she will always hear the Holy Spirit talking loud and clear to her conscious. And for those days that she sticks the earplugs in and does what God has cautioned against, she will know her forgiveness is simply waiting for her to ask.

Dear Heavenly Father, I pray that we will be quick to confess sin, knowing that you are faithful and just, and that you will forgive our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1John 1:9.

No comments: