Monday, August 13, 2007

Taking Your Son to Camp

We dropped off our eldest at camp yesterday afternoon. And I'm not sure if I'm proud of it or not, but I haven't cried yet. Usually when we drop him off I cry and spend the whole trip home praying for his safety and wondering why in the world I am leaving him in the care of people I DON"T EVEN KNOW???

Then my husband mummers sweet thoughts and talks me into laughter and reminds me how much I loved camp as a kid and later as a counselor and how great it will be for him.

This year my husband gave the same pep talk as usual, but I didn't need it as much. Fred is growing up. This will be great for him (I PRAY). I remember my times at camp as amazing times of growth and just plain fun. He needs to experience the small amount of independence camp can bring. I just hope his counselors are nice and caring, and the bullies leave him alone, and he has fun, and he eats well, and, and, and. Well, let's just stop right there.

The funniest part of the drop off occurred as we walked with Fred to the pool for his swim test. This is his first year at this camp, so we were all trying to figure out the procedure. He needed to take off his shirt and shoes, put his towel on the fence, take off his glasses, get in line for a shower, and then take the test. My husband and I figured this out in a matter of seconds while Fred stood there with his towel staring at us and not the pool. So I stepped up and started giving him instructions on what he needed to do and started to hang up his stuff for him when my husband pulled gently on my arm and whispered in my ear,

"Stop babying him. He'll figure it out if you give him a chance."

You know what, he was right. I took a few steps away from all the kids, back into the crowd of parents and watched. You know what I saw after a few minutes?

Fred took off his shirt and shoes, and his dad, my true love, stepped forward, hung his towel on the fence, took his glasses, helped him put on his goggles, and led him to the line to get in the pool.

Did you get that??? I stopped babying my son, so my husband could take over and NOT baby him.

And I didn't even comment. I wonder if it's only babying if your mom is helping you???

I'm still giggling that my husband didn't realize what he was doing.

Swim test was completed, our son was jabbering away to someone he met, and it was time for us to go. A few quick hugs, whispered reassurances of prayers and much love, and we walked away from him to the car. No tears for mom this year. Oh, my heart aches, but it is also full of love for my dear sweet boy experiencing the joy and sweat of summer camp. My husband gave the usual pep talk, and this year I realized that his pep talk is just as much for himself as it is for me. Oh, how I love my man!!!

No comments: