Monday, August 13, 2007

High School Musical 2 Review

Even though the premier of the movie isn't until Friday, August 17, a little blip in our cable provider has given us access to the movie a whole week early.

Woo-Hoo!!!

I am a 38 year old mom who is embarrassingly admitting that I couldn't wait to see this movie.

I love High School Musical 1. Great sappy songs, great large dance numbers, the basketball number was just plain fun, and a sweet love story appropriate for my then 7 year old.

High School Musical 2 was good. Even really good, if you don't compare it to the out-of-this world High School Musical 1. I didn't love #2 as much, but then it is a sequel and they're a difficult genre. There are several big dance numbers with amazing coreography that kids will know by heart before school starts, a new sport dance number, and plenty of teenage puppy love still decent for my 8 year old. #2 focuses a lot on Troy. And although, he's just as cute as he could be, his solos were a bit much eye candy for preteens for me. One was particularly unneccesary. And if Gabriella giggled through one more scene, I was going to have to mute the tv. My 10 year old son moaned everytime he realized they were stopping the plot to sing again. He obviously does not share my daughter's and my love of musical theatre. As far as we're concerned, you only have plot to get you from song to song.

Great summer flick. The actors/actresses are great singers and dancers, and that's really why I was watching. While it doesn't top High School Muscial 1, it does feed the consumption. There is a predictable, but teaching plot line. I enjoyed it and will watch it with my daughter many times again I'm sure.


1 comment:

Kelly said...

My girls are reading this over my shoulder. We'll be over first thing in the morning to take advantage of your "blip"

Hee- Hee :-)