Friday, August 17, 2007

Blackberry Cobbler Goodness

It's that delicious time of summer - Blackberry Picking Time.

After our delightful afternoon picking the sweetest berries I've ever tasted on Tuesday, it was time to make my favorite Blackberry Cobbler. I use a simple recipe that adapts to many cobbler fruits. I actually got it from Southern Living years ago and adapted it to my use. And by adapted I mean I usually leave out the peaches and don't add any extra sugar to the fruit.



After taking 15 pictures of the fruit, praying to get one in semi-focus, you should eat all the berries that have rolled onto the counter. Just to keep up your strength to actually make the cobbler.


Blackberry Cobbler


  • 2 cups blackberries
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl combing sugar, flour, baking powder and milk. Mix well.


Pour melted butter into a 2 quart dish.

Pour milk mixture into butter mixture, but DO NOT STIR.

Add fruit on top. DO NOT STIR.

Bake for 1 hour. During dinner is a great time to bake this. Serve with ice cream. Supposedly serves six.


The cobbler turned out amazing as usual. I'd have pictures, but I was too busy burning my mouth taste-testing once it came out of the oven. By the time I decided, "Yes, it definitely came out delicious," and my mouth was burnt to smithereens my cobbler was no longer picture presentable.

I'm so glad there's one little square left. I'll be having this little smidgen for breakfast sans the ice cream.

I'm also relieved that I bought creamer yesterday. I just don't think I can stomach blackberry cobbler with coffee/hot chocolate this early in the morning.

Have a great day. Make some cobbler or at least try some fresh blackberries. Picking them yourself will just make them taste that much sweeter.

No comments: