Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Nature's Insect Repellent

I discovered my tip for Shannon's Works For Me Wednesday last night. Check out lots of other great tips at Rocks In My Dryer.

Last night my friend Lynne and I wanted to sit outside on her gorgeous patio. However, Lynne couldn't find any bug spray, and we didn't want to be carried away by the mosquitoes that were banging against the window trying to get to us. We ventured outside anyway, and I noticed Lynne's great herb garden. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I picked a few basil leaves. Lynne and I proceeded to rub our arms with the leaves.

I know I've heard of some kind of herb repelling mosquitoes or maybe it was black flies. I now know that basil works against mosquitoes. I didn't rub the basil on my ankles and had three bites in two minutes. I picked another leaf and rubbed away. No more ankle biters! Lynne is still skeptical, but she had absolutely no bites. I know there were mosquitoes, because I also had a bite in an unmentionable spot through my clothing. YIKES!!!

So, that's what worked for me Tuesday evening and hopefully again today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving your blog sister-friend! Hi to Lynne!

Alidan's Mom!! :)

Anonymous said...

I will definitely be planting some in my garden soon!! I get bites so bad my doc actually said those pesky bugs are attracted to some people's blood more than others. In the summer, I look like I have hives all over!! yuck. Thanks for the tip.