Thursday, October 25, 2007

Our Own Engagement Memories, Part II

Hon watched the dark outline of the ax silhouetted against the Carolina blue sky come crashing down again and this time wedge into a green log.

My dad took one look at Hon and said,

"Yes."

Then my dad turned and walked away while the ax still quivered in the log.

I saw Hon turn towards the house, so I grabbed my coat and headed outside to meet him. He lifted me up in a big bear hug and said,

"Let's go for a walk. I'd love to see the waterfall again."

I'd love to say I threw my long, luscious locks over the back of my beautiful wool coat, and we hiked into the sunset. However...this is our story, and I am involved. The reality was this.

My mom followed me outside to remind us that it was hunting season and Thanksgiving weekend. The good Lord only knows how many hunters we had trespassing on the farm at that very moment. We had to suit up for safety. I donned a red hooded coat that Hon still reviles to this day and both of us capped ourselves with bright orange hunting caps. He might have thought I was beautiful, but my attire was not.

We took a few steps towards the barn and met my dad.

"Where you guys going? I'll come," he asked.

"To the waterfall," said Hon. Pointedly, very pointedly.

"Oh, wait, I've got to um, yeah," and my dad headed back into the barn.

We headed on towards the waterfall hand in hand, each of us in our own quiet thoughts.

Hon's thoughts ran sort of like this...

What was that? Was that a hunter? I better talk a little louder. Do I have the ring? Here, I'll hold her hand and put it in my coat pocket? I wonder if she knows? I can't believe my aunt almost blew it. How did anyone know this was the weekend? Wait? What was that? Was that a hunter? I'll talk a little louder. If I get shot before I ask her....


My thoughts were more like this...

He really was mad at his aunt. I thought we'd be engaged by now. I bet I look stupid in this coat. And this hat is making my head itch. How do I kiss him when we both have hunting caps on? Could I look more like a red neck? I'd love for him to ask me to marry him at the waterfall. We had such a good talk there last year. That's when we first starting talking about our future. But...if I tell him I want to get engaged at the waterfall...then the next time we come down here I'll know. This stinks...we should just head back to the house...I can't believe I'm wearing this hat...


...to be continued...

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Ok...I can't handle this ...to be continued stuff!!! So...what's next? LOL