Wednesday, October 3, 2007

We are Enough!

Like I said yesterday, I've had some thoughts have been brewing since July. It's time to weed my brain.

Yesterday's post described Corrie Ten Boom's analogy that God will provide what we need, when we need it. I had several great comments that reminded me that we are often impatient about wanting God to deliver what we think we need, now. The difficulty is realizing that He delivers on His divine timetable.

I was also thinking of how God gives blessings or gifts we never imagined we would have to complete His work. Peace during an illness, words of kindness, a new profession or even a new way of looking at our lives. This summer I had the opportunity to hear Beth Moore speak at the DC Women of Faith Pre-Conference on a subject close to this.

Her first point was that each of us have a ministry. As a member of the body of Christ, every one of us has a ministry to accomplish through our life. It maybe the call of parenthood, compassionate friend, generous giver, teacher, or any multitude of acts of kindness. The importance is realizing that we are living out our ministry each day and following God's call.

Her second point - which I found very important when you hear God asking you to perform a task - is that we are enough for that ministry. Whatever God calls us to do, with Christ our Lord, we are enough to do it. And that ties in so nicely with Corrie Ten Boom's story of the ticket from yesterday. He'll give us our ticket when we need it.

Beth said that when we chose God and Jesus Christ, we were filled with his Holy Spirit. Therefore, we are anointed. It is to the Father’s glory to bear MUCH fruit. We should bear much fruit in our ministries. We need to be about His work.

God may call us to do something at any time. And I think what goes through most of our minds when we figure out God wants us to do something is,

"Oh, MY! Dear Lord, You want me to do what? I can't do that. I'm not your girl. Do you know who you're asking? Surely you have me confused with someone with far greater talents."

Whether it's parenting a difficult child, surviving an illness, serving others in need, proclaiming the good news to a stranger or even a friend, God will give us the tools, talents, and strength to do all He asks. We can trust that we can accomplish anything with Christ for the glory of God. In Christ, I am enough for my ministry. Enough!!!

Beth also shared a great anagram -
Even
Nothing
Offered
Unconditionally
Glorifies
Him

It's all about staying humble. Knowing that God works through us for His glory. It's not us. We simply must be willing to follow.

Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are
competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence
comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant
– not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the
Spirit gives life.
2 Corinthians 3:4-6

So God’s glory is only something He can do. But He can use you and His ministry and the Holy Spirit to reveal His glory to others. So therefore… showing God off is my ministry.

  • We each have a ministry.
  • In Christ, we are enough for that ministry.
  • Showing off God is our ministry.

Beth finished with a commissioning that encompassed all these points and more. It was powerful to speak those words that day and to remember them as I continue to seek God and fulfill my ministry of showing Him off.

God gives each of us what we need to accomplish things we never imagined we'd be doing.

Can I get an Amen?

No comments: