Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Hearing God's Will and Homework

I've been percolating a post about God's will for my life, listening to God, seeking God, what is my purpose...yadayadayda..for a good couple of weeks now. I even tried writing it a couple of times and banned it to the draft forever pile. I fear it will need to continue to percolate for a while longer. I am sure I have some great insights to share. At the least, or maybe at the most, I have a lot a rambling to get out of my head.

Here's what I have learned.

God speaks in the small quiet whisper of the wind.

And sometimes that sounds like the loud bellow of a child needing help with homework.

"MOOOOOMMM!!!"

"IIII NEEEEDDD YOOOUUU, NOOOWWW!!!"

Yes, Lord, I do hear you loud and clear. I hear you in the joy of figuring out 3rd grade math with my daughter. Although it's ridiculous how much mental effort 3rd grade math can take from me. I hear you in the hugs and kisses I receive at home and the embarrassed shrugs I get when my son sees me volunteer at school.

I get it. You have more planned for me than I can ever hope to accomplish on my own. You are more than enough than I'll ever need for any task you set before me. While patience isn't always my strong suit, You always answer my prayers. Your timing is perfect.

I spent the end of the summer worrying and praying over God's will for my life and what He wants me to do. I worried I missed some task He set before me. I foolishly thought what He has me doing wasn't enough. I kept returning to Him in prayer and asking for wisdom and discernment. I've heard an answer. Or maybe more accurately the answer has been revealed through my life circumstances and urgings from Holy Spirit. My plate is full. Sometimes the calm is just time for all the pieces to fall into place. I will continue to be on my knees in gratitude and for more wisdom, strength, and guidance. And I pray, that next week when I ask all the same questions again, I remember God's answer.

How do you celebrate or remember the things God reveals in your life?

I'd love to hear.

No comments: