Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The New Charmin, Why Change a Good Thing?

Okay, there are products in this world that do not need improvement or tweaking. Charmin is one of them.

Our family brand loyalty is to Charmin. Every once in a while I try to buy a cheaper brand. Come on people, it's toilet paper! Everyone notices, and everyone complains. So I have learned to buy the big 12 pack and move on down the grocery aisle.

Last week as I looked for our normal package I noticed the words "New and Improved." The paper didn't look as smooth either. The normal Charmin was only available in smaller rolls. I'm sorry. I like the big rolls in a 12 pack thank you very much. So after spending 5 minutes shifting from foot to foot, comparing packages, and looking behind packages for our normal choice, I picked up the "New and Improved with Quilting" and headed to the beverage aisle.

Oh, the complaints!!!

I am not kidding to say we had a 10 minute conversation about toilet paper on our way to the Nationals game. We all agree that the New Charmin is as thick as Proctor and Gamble's Bounty paper towels. Nobody in my family wants to wipe with paper towels. It's not as soft either. And I have to tell you, the boys in the family complained a whole lot more about the softness factor than Birdie and me.

So Charmin, can I please get my normal kind of roll back? No one wants pseudo paper towel toilet paper. We've spent years reading warnings in public bathrooms - "Do Not Put Paper Towels in Toilets." Now, I'm flushing them down my home plumbing system. I'm here to say there is something worse than a public bathroom with clogged overflowing toilets. That would be my own personal bathroom with clogged overflowing toilets. I do not want to go there.

I am seriously considering throwing the New Charmin out. But that would just be so wasteful. Maybe I need a new donation bag to hold odd household items. Would anyone even take a half empty package of toilet paper?

The troops have spoken. I have a new mission. Maybe Walmart carries our regular Charmin.

I've got to agree with the anynomous poster, the new Charmin would be great for cleaning mirrors> I used it to wipe my bathroom floors yesterday. And, yes, the males in our house have complained even more than Birdie and I.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with ya sister! That new stuff is just awful. We hate in our house too. Now we have to find a new toilet paper... unless this is going to go the way of "New Coke". I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Anonymous said...

I'm a guy. And I can confirm that this new stuff is awful. I'm considering throwing out the rest of my 12-pack. I don't think I can take any more abuse. Does anyone have an alternative they would recommend? Actually, maybe I can save the rest of the 12-pack to use to clean glass with. Did they just not do any market research? Or were their testers just not sensitive enough in that area? Bad move.