Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Paper Bag Ice Breaker

Oh, the infamous paper bag that children all over the country have to fill with 3-5 things that represent themselves.

For children who love to talk and tell people all about themselves the trouble is narrowing down their all too exciting lives to 3-5 things. For a shy child who is embarrassed by his family's breathing, the paper bag can bring tears of frustration.

The Dude falls into the shy category. After I named the entire contents of his room, our photo albums, and most of our garage, The Dude lay moaning on his bed. And then I asked the winning question of the day, "Are we looking for things that will not embarrass you in any way at all?"

Ding-ding-ding!!! We have a winner.

So, we filled his bag with a miniature basketball, a picture of only his dog, and a puzzle piece. Not because he's so difficult to figure out - ahem - but because he's really good at puzzles.

As I woke him up this morning I got to thinking, if I had to fill a bag with 3-5 things to represent my quiet middle child, what would I choose?
  1. This one's the easiest for me. The black, plastic cobra that has travelled everywhere with us this summer - NC, the beach, Chicago, back to NC and sometimes just around town. The Dude is quite the prankster and claimed it his responsibility to scare each and every family member at least once with said plastic snake at the beach. Yes, I do admit he even got me once, even after I had watched him hide the snake for his dad. I later "discovered" it instead and squealed. Any time we heard a quick shriek on vacation we knew The Dude had struck again.
  2. I also would put a puzzle piece. Maybe for more than the fact that he's so good at puzzles.
  3. A tickle me Elmo - now wait follow me on this one. He'd hate the Elmo. But - he loves to be tickled and to tickle. For some reason, I'd forgotten how much the love language of touch matters to my middle child. I quickly realized it the week our oldest was at camp, and The Dude poked, wrestled, and tickled me all day everyday.
  4. A stuffed lion or book on big cats. He would never want to admit to his classmates, but he loves animals, especially big cats. He spent a week at a preservation center for big cats last summer conducting experiments and learning all about the animals and loved it. He has hidden in his closet at least 20 stuffed zoo animals, and I'm not allowed to dispose of any of them.
  5. A breakfast bar. If this child had to survive on only one food that would be his choice. Nonetheless, he is the most adventurous and best eater in the house. I can always count on him to like just about whatever I cook. God, I love that boy.
  6. A picture of his fabulous smile and beautiful, soft skin. Yes, I'm his mom. He has silky skin that tans a deep golden brown even with sunscreen. I love his smile; however this has been the summer of the power of the scowl. Even when he's mad and scowling and trying to get his way, you can see the hint of a smile at the corners of his mouth. I just love it!

No comments: