Friday, September 14, 2007

Presbyterian USA or PCA???

As I was getting acquainted with another mom the other day, we swapped information on where we both went to church. When I revealed that I went to a Presbyterian church here in NOVA, she asked is that USA or PCA?

Hmmm???

I was pretty sure it was USA, but didn't want to misspeak. And then to be honest I'm not sure of exactly all the details involved in the difference of Presbyterian USA and Presbyterian PCA. I do know my Presbyterian church in Danville was USA and some members left and started a PCA congregation.


Surely we would have chosen another Presbyterian USA congregation.


But, hmmmm?


I know my minister back Danville would be rolling his eyes heavenward if he only knew my lack of knowledge. For surely he has preached, and preached, and given numerous seminars on what it means to a Presbyterian of the Reformed faith and how we differ from other denominations and how important it is to know how our form of worship differs from other protestant denominations.


I think I have just failed Presbyterianism 101.


But gals, I have the Internet.


Our new church here in NOVA is Presbyterian USA.


I did go to the Presbyterian USA website and read Presbyterian 101. Yes, I do believe and agree with their basic guidelines. For the record I have not looked at a Presbyterian PCA website.


But...


Here's the thing. I know these details really, really matter to some people. And perhaps they don't matter a whole lot to me at the moment, because I really enjoy worshiping in a Presbyterian USA church. My husband and I have chosen to worship as Presbyterians our entire marriage. Except when I went to Mass at the Catholic school our children attended. I worshipped God in a Catholic church, following the Catholic tradition. Or when I attended church with my brother-in-law's family. I worshipped God in the Lutheran tradition. Oh, and when I go home to my Dad's, I worship in the Quaker tradition. I'm kinda partial to the Quaker tradition. I come from a very long line of Quakers. I totally relate to God is the light within you. Of course, I've been to the Methodist Church quite a few times also.


You know who's tradition I like best? The Holy Trinity. I'm really partial to it. As long as God, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are with me, sometimes the little details don't matter too much to me. I know they might after a while, like if I went to Sunday School at those churches and didn't agree with their doctrines. I'm not really into that whole purgatory thing. I'm pretty into God's grace and Him being bigger than anything I can imagine. I like to sing. I'm terrible, but I love singing at church. There's nothing like a great worship song at church that brings you close to God with tears that choke you up.

Yesterday, my small Bible study group hit on this topic also. We agreed that God probably doesn't really care about all our human divisions and dividers. He wants us to worship Him. Which ever church enables you to hear and worship God should be yours. One of group had run into someone who wanted her to defend not her faith so much as her choice of church. They wanted all the sticky details. They wanted the fight. It made her question her lack of knowledge and how she can justify or rationalize different church policies.

Oooo, I don't want to have that battle. I know by choosing a certain type of church, we choose to let that define who we are. But I want my love of God to define who I am. I want it to be simpler. Maybe I want to wrap it up too neatly in a little box. Or maybe the point is I don't want to be so pigeonholed that God only fits one denomination's bylaws.

Hmmm...I think I'll keep on pondering these thoughts and praying that God the glorious father of our Lord Jesus Christ gives me the wisdom and revelation to know him better.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

IF you ever have a desire to know a bit more about PCUSA vs. PCA, give me a call. I'd be happy to share my journey of exploration around the denominational issues with you.

CPC is PCUSA also, in case you were wondering.

Unknown said...

I think the most important thing is to be in a church whose doctrine lines up with God's word, both on paper and in practice. I grew up in a PCUSA church, not knowing much about the doctrine. Then, my husband came to that church (b4 we were married), and under his leadership, I began to grow spiritually...and came to the realization that that was not a good place to be.

If you're not sure whether or not you should be at that church, you should take a good look at their doctrinal statement (or whatever). Since it's a Presbyterian church, they're sure to have it written up in detail. ;) Take that and compare it to God's Word.

Now look into the things that the PCUSA okays. Abortions, female pastors, allowing homosexuality, and more...are not pleasing to God. Your church in particular may not subscribe to these things--and in fact may not even mention them!--but if they're not against those things which are not pleasing in God's sight, then you have a problem. After all, the bible says to watch your life and doctrine closely.

While I don't know everything there is to know about doctrine and theology, I do know that it is wise to pursue knowledge, especially where it concerns your faith. Ignorance may be bliss, but it does not excuse you of sin. (BTW, I'm not saying you're in sin, I mean "you" in the general sense, like "one" or "a person".) I just mean this as an encouragement to get out there and get the facts you need on the issue. You may not want to have that battle (and I'm certainly not trying to start it with you), but it may be one that you need to have...or can't avoid...and so you should be prepared.

God bless you in your quest for knowledge, and may he grant you both wisdom and discernment as well!

Unknown said...

I found some links that you might find interesting regarding this topic. I was looking into it myself just to make sure I had a clear view on the issue. Of course, each church in both the PCA and the PCUSA must be evaluated on an individual basis; I hope you're in a good (bible-based) one!

http://www.leakesvillepres.org/I-ve-Wondered---/whats-the-difference-between-the-pca-your-denomination-and-the-pcusa

http://www.westpca.com/pages/index.php?pID=39