Tuesday, July 3, 2007

And the Results Are In...

I know you’ve been dying to know. What on earth did I wear? How did my hair handle the humidity and splashing? Have I found my calling as a Swim Meet Marshal? Well, let’s just start with what my daughter said when I came downstairs,

“Mom, why are you dressed so pretty for a swim meet.”

I hoped it was a good omen.

First, women dress a little differently here than from where we moved. Here the prime colors combinations are black, black, khaki, brown, black and maybe a touch of white for special occasions. To say my predominantly pink wardrobe still garners comments and second looks is an understatement. Luckily, the head swim team person (official lingo) caught me before I got dressed and told me that everyone working the swim meet was to wear black shorts and a white shirt. I opted for a black skort/white polo combo and was relieved that I was just going to blend in with all the other parent volunteers.

Yeah.

Except for that neon orange vest.

It’s a good thing my daughter told me I looked pretty before we left the house, because my husband stood behind me and heckled me during the meet. I think it was more than just the vest. I’m not sure he was duly impressed with my marshaling. So how did I do?

Let’s just say, I don’t think they added a 3 chair barrier beside where I was standing, because I was doing such a great job.

However, there is reason to celebrate. My little Birdie swam great! She placed 3rd in her favorite event and improved her times in both events. She was thrilled. As her mom, I know her excitement is what it’s all about.

No comments: