Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cooking with Kids

Last week was a zoo around here. Or a clearing house for all inspectors. Your choice.

Between the Verizon guy, who was very nice and going through a recent separation heading for divorce,
the appraiser who has 3 boys of his own and just loved our hardwoods,
the yearly termite inspector, who thankfully found no termites,
the very scary looking bug guy to keep the bugs in the yard and out of my house,
two boys to be chauffered to bball camp, laundry, dog hair, and blogging to do I was up to my eyeballs in it.


Yet, Birdie was bored and decided we needed to cook. Or she needed to cook, and I could take pictures for my blog. If I wanted. She definitely knows how to spin it.

"Do you want to, Mom?"

"Of course, sweet cheeks. That laundry will wait another day. Your daddy can turn his socks inside out."

This was hot stuff. Hold the postings. I could take pictures of our cooking for my first blogging cook-torial. So here we go.

I pulled out the kids cookbook we bought 2 years ago at the school bookfair. I knew it was bound for greatness.

We spent the next 30 minutes devouring the cook books for ideas and a recipe we actually had all the ingredients to make. We settled on Plankton in a Blanket. We didn't have croissant dough, so we substituted biscuit dough. We were thrilled with the results.


The recipe was pretty easy. We skipped the first three steps and decided not to go fishing for plankton and substitute hot dogs. We baked them at 375 degrees for 18 minutes. Not exactly on the Bikini Bootcamp diet, but a mom has to pump her daughter's cooking self-esteem. Deee-lish!

While the dogs were heating in their blankets, Birdie decided we needed dessert to round out our meal and my hips. She chose Gelatin Delight.
First, she dissolved the gelatin in the boiling water.

Next, she stirred in ice water.

She added chopped strawberries and poured the concoction into fancy glasses (as the recipe recommended). She was most excited about the whip cream. That's my girl! She also insisted I take the strawberry off her glass before she started eating.

Here's the glass approximately 45 seconds after she started. I think it receives Birdie's official stamp of approval.
The cooking was a blast. The food great.


Loading the pictures and boring narration - not so good.

No comments: