Sunday, July 1, 2007

Serious Sunday


There is a serious game of Axis and Allies going on at our house. It’s some strategy game concerning WWII that my husband has had since childhood and recently taught to our two sons. The three men in the household can spend up to 6 hours at this game. I would have pulled my hair out after 20 minutes. Therefore, I graciously find other ways to occupy my time. Can you say, "Internet?"


The board has been set up on the kitchen table since Friday when Hon arrived home from work. The game was started right after dinner, but delayed due to an uninterested friend spending the night. The lack of interest kicked in right after my eldest gave him the usual oldest sibling abbreviated rules.


“Here roll the dice, and I’ll move for you.”


That tantalizing explanation kind of sucked all the fun from the game for the friend, and all children quickly moved back to ping pong and computer games.


The game resumed yesterday afternoon while I attended a baby shower. It was delayed shortly before I arrived home due to nap time – for Dad. However, I don’t think there will be any delays today. They are so intent on playing at the moment no breaks are allowed.


For ANY reason. Picture what I just heard.


“Hey, dude, crack the door and let me in.”


“No, Dad. I’m busy.”


“Well, do you want me to roll the dice for you?”


“NO, Dad.”


“Then crack the door and roll the dice.”


CRACK.

I’m beginning to realize why no one in this house respects the closed door for privacy theory. I’m still shaking my head. At least at this rate they’ll finish the game, and I’ll recover the table for dinner tonight.

No comments: