Thursday, July 12, 2007

Summer Fashions

Our daughter is a glorious gift from God. In other words, she's a typical third child - a very happy surprise. After two boys, my husband always says he came through in the clutch by producing a girl. I'm pretty glad he did.

Dressing a girl, which requires more than jeans, t-shirts and tennis shoes, came as a bit of a shock to me at first. I quickly rose to the occasion and have done my female duty to keep our economy going by purchasing as many adorable outfits, dresses, and shoes as I can without sending my marriage to divorce court.

And yet, my precious Birdie has grown and developed her own fashion sense.

Picture this -

It's 90 degrees and humid yesterday. Birdie puts on red shiny boy basketball shorts that fall below her knees that she begged me to buy her until I caved. She coordinated these with a wrinkled, hand-me-down, permanently stained, noticeably different colored red t-shirt. She added flip flops that amazingly have a little pink on them. Finally, the crowning glory was her Sponge Bob Square Pants toboggan, turned backwards so the picture of Sponge Bob is in the back, off-center. Yes, a winter hat pulled all the way down so her hair and ears were completely hidden. It was a great look.

Now, I'm a southern girl. I grew up in the country on a farm. Growing up you went "to town" on Thursdays. It was a big event, and you dressed nicely, like a lady. My grandma was always talking about grace and telling me to walk like a lady. I live "in town" now, but those ideas have stuck with me. Most days I survey what I'm wearing before I run to the grocery store. Yesterday, I needed to run lots of errands.

So, what to do about Birdie's outfit.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I took her everywhere with me. Yes, we marched ourselves right into Nordstroms. Not to shop for her but for her father. We got quite a few looks, but she was happy. She even asked to look in the girls' section. I casually showed her that they make athletic wear for girls.

She said, "Let me think about it Mom."

Thank God for her independence and confidence. Or maybe lack of concern for what others think of her. It sure is fun to be around such a happy little girl.

1 comment:

Tam said...

Kudos to you! I would not have had such restraint and would have micromanaged her outfit. I have so much to learn....sigh.