Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Getting Kids to Move

Works for Me Wednesdays at Rocks in My Dryer -

This tip will sound so easy you probably won't believe it. But you have to try it.

I like things done, NOW! It kinda really drives me nuts when I ask my kids to do things, and they don't do them like immediately.

Or they say, "In a minute mom."

Which translates to, "Never, and hopefully, you'll forget you asked."

And who has kids that jump up to do household chores or help their mom immediately? I did not birth that kind of child. I birthed the normal, I-hate-when-my-mom-nags-me-to-do-something children. However, I've found a solution that still surprises me and helps me deal with my "immediately" problem.

When I need the kids to clean their bathroom, take out the trash, and so on and so forth, I ask,

"Do you want to sweep the garage now or in 10 minutes?" (You pick the time - 5, 8, 10, 20).

They almost always say unanimously, "10 minutes!"

Great by me. I've come to realize I can wait 10 minutes if there's no excessive nagging by me required. I set the oven timer for 10 minutes, and in 10 minutes they do the chore. No arguing or whining. Well, at least no excessive whining, and I don't pull out my hair just trying to get them to stand up.

I think that giving the kids the power to choose the time lets them win what they see as a battle. I see it as a win-win situation. Now or 10 minutes works for me. Whoo-hoo, they do the chore!

Try it. I'm still shocked it works so well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm definitely trying this one. Having kids has turned me into the nag queen and I hate fighting with them. Thanks for sharing.

Lara said...

Setting a timer is a great idea! I'm famous for asking the kids to do something and then forgetting that I asked. Maybe we all do that.

So is there something wrong with making them do it NOW before I forget about it?

Actually we have a set time to do chores in the morning and that seems to work pretty well. If they forget something then I feel like I have the right to ask them to do it "now" since it was really supposed to be done x hours ago.

penguinsandladybugs said...

This is great!! I am gonna give it a try, thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I'll be remembering this one! Thanks.