Saturday, July 7, 2007

The Boy Who Lived

The 12 year old lives another day in our house. He's heard more lectures than he ever thought one bad joke could provoke, and I've noticed many glances at me to see if my ears are still smoking. I'm glad to report they have cooled, thank you very much.

It has been an interesting year for him, and I've enjoyed watching him splash into these pre-teen years. Goofy is the word that most often comes to mind. It's a great goofy. He's laughing, we're laughing, and obviously he's trying his hand at making his friends laugh. He's at an age where I am beginning to see flashes of who he truly is and the character that he is forming. There are days I dare think he's going to turn out alright. And then, there are days like yesterday, when I realize there's not enough time to teach him all he needs to learn.

My prayer for him for the last few years has been May he be filled with the joy of the Holy Spirit. Let him be joyful always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances, for this is your will for him in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 1:6;5:16-18. God has answered that prayer abundantly this year. We have seen the joy we saw in him as a baby and toddler again, and we are thankful. However, I'm realizing that he is entering a time of growth in his life where he will be greatly influenced by people other than my husband and me. I pray that God will place people and circumstances in his life to lead him closer to God.

My mommy super powers are not all I once thought they were. I'm not going to be there every moment. I'm not going to be the one to teach my son every lesson he needs. As he has been since before there was a hair on his beautiful round head, he is in God's hands. I pray God keeps him in the center of his will. I thank God for the front row seat of my son's own journey of faith. I'll be here cheering every step and mis-step of his way.

I love you, sweetie.

No comments: