Thursday, July 19, 2007

What is Heaven?

Do you know? I'm sure you have some kind of idea. Vague thoughts.

Hugs and sticky kisses from a child that loves you completely and whole heartily.
Putting your head on your true love's shoulder and dancing to music only the two of you hear.
Hot coffee and quiet before life wakes around you.
Chocolate anything.
A morning when no one forgets anything, and you don't yell at the kids as you get them out the door.
Forgiveness for something you truly regret.
Being filled the a peace beyond all understanding that introduces you to the God that has always loved you.


My brother and I dove into this interesting conversation on our drive to my Dad's. I mostly listened to my brother's views, not wanting to stop his verbal thought process, but I have my own ideas. He thinks he's in heaven now. He has a family he adores, a new home, a puppy, and a generally good life. He looks at the problems he runs into as a barometer to make him appreciate all the good in his life.

My dad and I both agreed that you can definitely make your own hell on earth. And it's in having peace with your life that things become heavenly. I think there is a definite divine difference between heavenly days and heaven.

I've heard heaven described as walking out of your earthly body into your heavenly form where all the troubles and pains of this life disappear. A friend that lost her father described heaven as her dad with his relatives cruising on the inter-coastal waterway. In 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper, he talks of heaven as a place full of beautiful music, the people you love, a brilliant light, and a joy that could only come from God.

I know in my heart there must be a heaven. I know it in that place that recognizes God's Holy Spirit and calls me to him. I know we will no longer be tempted and our earthly desires will be quenched. I think it is so much more than what we see, feel, and comprehend on this earth. But I also think God gives us glimpses of heaven each day by revealing his spirit. I think that by recognizing those glimpses and being thankful for them we discover heavenly moments in this life. I've had those moments in peaceful times and times of true trial. It is the closeness to God that I've felt at those times that continues to draw me closer to the Lord I love.

To be filled with God's peace is a blessing. It is a warm hug and sticky kiss from God. It is the joy in being alive. It is the faith that carries me on...

towards heaven when I'll meet my God face to face.




No comments: