Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Oh, I Know All About Your Religion

First, thank God for other blogs, and that I read as many as my time during the day allows. Too many actually, but I digress.

I was reading A Church for Starving Artists this morning, and I just had to share what Jan Edmiston wrote today. Please click here and read it, you'll probably spit your coffee at your computer screen, unless...you believed the same misinformation. And then you can be enlightened.

I had heard that the Methodists and Episcopalians were dealing a lot more with that particular subject these days. The point is unfortunately people use mis-information to distinguish religions. It seems as if they chose the things they're afraid of to condemn another's religion.

It still and always will amaze me the rumors and even horror stories people will tell about religions other than their own. I grew up Catholic, with a bigger dose of Quakerism. I won't say Roman Catholic, because we just weren't that pious. My mom is 3rd generation American Irish and went to Mass every day at a Catholic school with the nuns that used her messy handwriting as a reason to rap her knuckles. My dad is Quaker, and no that is not the same as Amish or Shaker. So it was quite a mix at our house. I never bought into a lot of the Catholic rules, and luckily I completely missed the guilt.

Yes, I probably should have some religious scars, but I proudly do not. I'm just very used to the, "What is that?!!" questions. And being looked at like I was either going to cross myself and rap my own knuckles or go get a big black hat and ride a horse and buggy into town. Oops, I digress again.

Growing up Catholic in a predominately rural southern area made me stick out if I mentioned it. The biggest mis-information I dealt with most was that, "Catholics worship Mary." People would say that with authority and contempt in their voices. I couldn't figure out where they learned such things. It has taken me until my 30's to realize that the prayer, "Hail, Mary" is probably responsible for the connotation. Craziness!

Before we moved to Northern Virginia we lived in a small town where our children went to a Catholic School. It was definitely not for the Catholicism, yet it's what makes that school so special. I cannot say enough good things about the love for God that continues to be taught at that precious school. And Mrs. Swain will be loved by me and my boys forever as a wonderful example of Christianity. She taught them religion for years, and we miss her terribly. I respect the Catholic religion a lot more due to the wonderful souls at our old school. I was proud to teach there, and will always treasure how God used our time there to draw us closer to Him.

The instance that Jan Edmison wrote about could point the finger at almost any religion. Our family is Presbyterian. I enjoy it. It works for our family. I feel blessed to worship with others who love the Lord and inspire me to learn more about Him. I hope that being exposed to a couple of religions has made me more tolerant and open-minded. I know one thing. It makes me humble in the presence of God's greatness.

Religion can inspire. It can save people from an empty existence. It can bring peace...

Whoops! That's God that gets the credit for all those things. Religion should help us worship God and draw closer to him. The whole point is our relationship with God. And to be honest, I think you need to worship in a way that brings you that relationship. I should hope different religions speak to our differences to remind us of our oneness with God. But sometimes religions just get in our way. Those are times that I'm so thankful that God will truly work it all out in the end.

No comments: