Monday, July 16, 2007

Review of Harry Potter Movie

I enjoyed the first half of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It had the dark, angst of adolescence feeling that the book used to fill over 700 pages. As a great admirer of the Potter books, I approach the movies as a completely different beast. I try not to compare them too much. No one could sit through a movie that contained every morsel from the books. While my eldest child protests every deviation from the book, I applaud the tone and feeling that transfers from the book to film.

The second half of Harry Potter IV? Who knows? I'm sure it's pretty good. Or it could be awful.

I couldn't tell you.

Halfway through the movie, I received a call that my dad had just entered the ER, they thought it was just dehydration, and they'd call me in an hour with more details. I did not know what to do with myself. There was no reason to pull the kids out of the movie to watch their mother watch a phone, so I went back inside the theatre and prayed.

So, you see, I think I'm going to need to see that movie on video someday.

Two hours later I found myself in the car with my brother traveling to check on my dad. Dad's fine now, and I'm on Dad watch. My job is to keep him in the house drinking Gatorade and out of the garden. I'm also suppose to try and convince him to take it easy for a few days without nagging him. Amazingly, much harder than you would think for a man who spent the night in the hospital.

Six hours in the car with my brother talking,
driving the back roads of my childhood,
a phone call no child wants to get,
taking instructions from doctors and pharmacists for my invincible father,
and a gracious God that heard and answered prayers.

I have plenty of blog fodder. I just need time to think clearly and narrow the focus. More importantly, I need to keep an eye on my dad. I think I heard him mention checking the horse, and last time I checked that was outside in the heat.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Praying for your dad and you.

And, the second half of the movie was really good. We saw it yesterday as well. Looking forward to Saturday when the new Harry Potter arrives!!