Friday, July 6, 2007

Feminism Is Alive

Hold me back!

I think I might need to "go postal" on my oldest son.

And we had had the greatest week together.

Until 30 minutes ago.

That's we he announced to his friend,
"Women don't do anything to contribute in the world. They don't do anything important. They don't hold any positions of value."

I think he went on and on for more effect for a few minutes, but what with my head spinning, fire shooting out my ears, sparks flying from my eyes, and the brief loss of consciousness and reality, I kinda missed the rest.

Once I yelled, "Hey!!!" he stopped talking.

You know, I can really cut someone to the quick with my laser sharp wit.

He was smart enough to change subjects. I decided to contain my verbal fury until his friend exited the car. I didn't need an innocent bystander caught in my onslaught.

Needless to say, I let loose like a woman with no mercy. Honey, stop the car. No one messes with Mama and her inner feminist, which I didn't really know I had until those insane, uneducated, male chauvinist comments fell out of his mouth.

I named every woman in our family with a college degree and their advanced degrees. I named the Supreme Court Justices, Speaker of the House, Mother Theresa, Madame Curie, astronauts, scientists, his pediatrician, J.K. Rowling, Mary, mother of God, and any other mother I could think of. I also explained that women are mothers and wives, so we're the real reason men accomplish anything at all.

I explained that his father is a good man and understands and respects the importance of women, and he sure better start paying attention to the good examples around him.

As I paused to take a breath, and gather more information from the dark black recesses of my freaking out mind, there were many apologies for lack of a good sense of humor coming from the back seat. The siblings in the car even apologized for being present during such a debacle.

I don't know how these vile thoughts entered my son's mind and exited his mouth. I'm definitely going to make sure he learns this lesson.

Oh, God bless the girl marries one day. I promise I'll try to have him fixed before you meet.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I remember I was really worried when I quit work that my girls would not understand women having careers, etc. I was VERY touchy about the subject. Hubby got a new job when the girls were around 4 and 6ish. When he was discussing new job with the girls, little one says " I don't want to grow up and have to get a job" to which big sis replies "you don't have to...just grow up and find a daddy with a job, like Mommy did."

I had a similar reaction to yours...I believe there was fire-spitting, head-spinning, etc as I explained about Mommy's Masters Degree and enormous career sacrifice for THEM...all the while trying to kick my husband under the table as he tried to contain his side-splitting laughter at my distress.

I feel ya' sister! I have no doubt you have whipped that boy into shape. Believe me, my girls never made that mistake again!!

Tam said...

Oh, UGH! What would drive me nuts is wondering where he heard those vile words that he thought would sound so cool repeating from his very own lips.

Sarah said...

Just stumbled across your blog. Funny story (I'm sure not at the time). It's still difficult to navigate gender issues in our present day I think (and explain it to kids). It's not hard to imagine where your son picked up on those messages. They are everywhere... Anyway, nice blog!